Emergency Lighting Average Lux

questions regarding the handling of DIALux evo. (features, tools, options, settings)
szahidi78

Emergency Lighting Average Lux

Post by szahidi78 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:54 am

How can we set the target value for the average lux level for emergency lighting (10.8 lux) to meet NFPA 101 requirements?

lrossi

Re: Emergency Lighting Average Lux

Post by lrossi » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:10 am

Not to hijack this post but I'm very interested in a proper response for this as well since I need to meet the requirements of IBC.
Also, can we manually set the target for Max/Min uniformity ratio? It is part of the requirements for emergency lighting in IBC.
Thanks,

Csuleiman

Post by Csuleiman » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:28 am

Hello szahidi78 and lrossi,

You can adjust the target values directly in the "Calculation objects" mode in the "Emergency surfaces" tool - as shown in the screenshot.

Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (137.89 KiB) Viewed 974 times

Best regards,
DIAL Support Team

lrossi

Post by lrossi » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:16 am

Csuleiman,
Thanks for the response but, isn't that the setting for "minimum illuminance?

If that is the case, is there a way to set the target for the "average" illuminance?

The goal for me, and i think szahidi78 has a similar goal, is to determine if our design meets the requirements of the local code. In my case, the IBC requires an average illumination of 1FC at the floor level of the path of egress, with a minimum illumination at any point no lower than 0.1 FC and a max/min ration of 40:1.

It seems dialux can help me with the minimum illumination and the max/min ratio but, can it help me with the average illumination as well?

kvkozierowski

Post by kvkozierowski » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:18 am

Hello lrossi,

You are right it is the minimum, not the average.
The emergency lighting implemented in DIALux evo 10.0 is based on EN 1838:2019 not NFPA 101, therefore there is no target value for average illuminace.

Best regards
Kolja

lrossi

Post by lrossi » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:59 am

Kolja,
Thanks for the response and letting me know that this is a software limitation (at least as of today).

What would be the best way to suggest this "feature" to the developers?

It shouldn't be too hard to implement as Dialux is already calculating the illumination levels and this would be of tremendous help to engineers all over the world. Having something like this in Dialux would mean that i will not need any other software to complete a lighting design.

kvkozierowski

Post by kvkozierowski » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:40 pm

We have already noticed the demand for standards like NFPA 101, but you are free to add this to "Wishes/suggestions" :)